Hurricane Harvey Proclaimed Day of Prayer
Today is a National Day of Prayer as a response to Hurricane Harvey.
Below are the points our president and his team would like us to pray:
Basically, “pray for the Victims of Hurricane Harvey and for our National Response and Recovery Efforts.”
1. We give thanks for the generosity and goodness of all those who have responded to the needs of their fellow Americans.
2. I urge Americans of all faiths and religious traditions and backgrounds to offer prayers today for all those harmed by Hurricane Harvey.
3. Pray also for people who have lost family members or been injured, as well as those who have lost homes or other property.
4. And pray for our first responders, law enforcement officers, military personnel, and medical professionals leading the response and recovery efforts.
5. Finally, each of us, in our own way, may call upon our God for strength and comfort during this difficult time.
6. I call on all Americans and houses of worship throughout the Nation to join in one voice of prayer, as we seek to uplift one another and assist those suffering from the consequences of this terrible storm.
Aiding Our Presidential Call To Prayer
Personally I am thrilled to death that the President has called upon the nation to pray. This is an action that I hope becomes a habit for I believe that if it becomes a habit, led by our president, it may become a character trait of our nation.
So let me aid President Trump as I have considered for the last few days how and what we should pray. Let me simply say that from his perspective, as the President of ALL of the USA, his prayer proclamation is excellent.
I simply want to add that there are greater issues that The Church must pick up, that The Church must take responsibility for, hence the following.Let us pray Ephesians 5:20, John 17:21, and 2 Chronicles 7:13 THRU 15.
giving thanks always for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, (Ephesians 5:20, HCSB)
May they all be one, as You, Father, are in Me and I am in You. May they also be one in Us, so the world may believe You sent Me. (John 17:21, HCSB)
If I close the sky so there is no rain, or if I command the grasshopper to consume the land, or if I send pestilence on My people, and My people who are called by My name humble themselves, pray and seek My face, and turn from their evil ways, then I will hear from heaven, forgive their sin, and heal their land. My eyes will now be open and My ears attentive to prayer from this place. (2 Chronicles 7:13-15 HCSB)
Here’s how I would pray for our nation in addition to what our president has asked us to do.
Father, You have told us to thank You for everything, which often times can become a challenge, especially when what we are thanking You for, we do not like. So I thank You for Hurricane Harvey and the results that are coming as we watch them play out.
In particular Lord, I am reminded of all of the “color-blind” helping and supporting of one another. Lord as Your church acts in colorblindness I trust You to honor Your Word that men and women would see unity and recognize it as another proof that You sent Your Son to us 2000 years ago.
And then Father, I would ask You to show us that out of Your love, You periodically “take-us-behind-the-woodshed” to give us some Fatherly discipline. I admit that I have NO IDEA if You have brought Hurricane Harvey for that purpose, but Lord, it makes sense to me that we deserve it. And so Father, as I pray for The Church, I would ask You that we would understand OUR NEED to humble OURSELVES, deal with sin in OUR life, giving You the opportunity to heal the rocky road MY sins cause between me and You, AND THEN You will hear our prayers.
Just a thought, but this is how I would pray, in addition to what our president has asked us to pray.