- Background to today’s prayer
- Job was blameless, yet look at all that God allowed, in fact, PROMPTED sataN to do to his life.
- tragic loss of possessions
- tragic loss of family
- verbal attacks by friends
- verbal attacks by wife
- In the West we do not think we should suffer.
- We expect to be RELIEVED of suffering.
- Is this the new disease of affluence?
Reading about how Zechariah and Elizabeth (John the Baptist’s dad and mom) were upright and blameless (Luke 1:6), I’m reminded of Job who was also blameless (Job 1:1, 8; 2:3) and look at the trials You allowed in his life. Lord, as we wander through this joyous time of giving, let us remember that blessings are not defined as the “good” or “lack of bad” in our lives, but by our relationship with You. In the West we have difficulties come our way and we want, no, we expect, relief from them. Forgive us Father for thinking that following in Your Son’s footsteps, the footsteps of suffering (1 Peter 2:21) is NOT for us, even though Your Son’s advent into this world was for the, purpose of the cross (John 12:27) Forgive us Lord for our arrogance, and teach us to thank You FOR everything (Ephesians 5:20).
MARK S MIRZA